[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 24 13:57:33 CDT 2007

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2007/04/24 Tue AM 10:25:28 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

>On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:41:09PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> Similarly,
>> my home fileserver has had to have similar treatment on its SATA port
>> because it's fouled by actually putting a hard disk rather than a floppy
>> drive in the second drive bay.
>
>Am I the only person who wishes for some kind of positive friction or clamp
>connection for SATA data connectors?  I swear, the SATA cable going from
>my motherboard (ASRock 939Dual-SATA2) to my Hitachi 80G SATA drive (on my
>Windows gaming box) will dislodge if I look at it funny.  I've been tempted
>to tape it in place.

WD took your concerns to heart, and includes a cable that coers the SATA power connector and *requires* you to use the 4 pin Molex power connector OR supply your own SATA cable:

Back of drive image:
http://westerndigital.com/global/products/imageviewer.asp?model=wdfDesktop_SE_JS&filter=2026&currentimage=bcknocvr&Language=en

Cable image:
http://westerndigital.com/global/products/imageviewer.asp?model=WDSC50RCW&filter=accessory&currentimage=single

They have a cable that has a large bar that covers half the back of the drive and clips into the two "holes" on either side of the SATA power and data connectors...

I hate those connectors, as I usually only have SATA power drops when I add those drives it seems...

Lionel