[rescue] E420r questions answered...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 22 14:16:56 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I've been taking a bit of time working with my E420r systems, and I have a few definiative answers to questions I posted over the last few days - I'm sending the answers here for posterity (Hello Google-land!).

DVD ROM won't boot Sun Solaris DVD - after applying the patch Mr. Bill mentioned, the DVD worked fine (Patch 111649-04) on my Toshiba DVD model 1401.

UPA Graphics adapter/framebuffer - you CAN install a "vertical" UPA Creator or Elite framebuffer in an E420r. I am currently installing Solaris 10 6/06 from DVD on a system with a Creator framebuffer without incident. The card fits nicely, and this option is documented in the E420r Service Manual, page 243 under the heading "Graphics and Imaging".

So there you have it, the E420r can accept a UPA framebuffer - Sun even says so, but didn't really advertise it (UPA framebuffers are not listed as options in the Sun System Handbook).

Lionel