[rescue] anyone ever use DVD-RAM drive with Sparc ?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Apr 20 20:02:42 CDT 2007

Wondering if anyone has ever used DVD-RAM drives with a Sparc (in
particular Ultra-60).

I can see a few ways to go here...

modern multifunction drive that supports DVD-RAM with Acard SCSI<->IDE
bridge...
same drive in an external firewire enclosure and a firewire card
supported in
Solaris
same drive in an external USB2 enclosure and a firewire card supported
in Solaris.

Since this is for a U60, I'm leaning towards #1... get a nice Pioneer
DVR-111 or
112, crossflash to Bufalo firmware (DVR-111L) for DVD-RAM support, and
couple with Acard SCSI<->IDE bridge and use internally in the U60s CD bay.

I hear that some OSes don't like the SCSI<->IDE bridge for burning
(something
about command length vs true SCSI drives).  I don't have any reports on
accessing
drive functionality with a bridge under Solaris though.

So... anyone have any comments/suggestions that has done this ?

Thanks,

-- Curt