[rescue] UNIVAC looking awfully modern (ebay)

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Apr 20 17:36:22 CDT 2007

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Kevin Loch wrote:

> "You are looking at a UNIVAC circuit board from the late 1960s
> or early 1970s."
>
> LOL.  There is a surface mount IC on there.  I don't think
> those were widely used until the 1990's.

    Think again.

    A good friend of mine has in his collection a Honeywell H-316
(not the "kitchen computer" variant, but the rather more boring
rack-mount) and that dates from the late 1960s.  Further, my copy
of "The TTL Data Book for Design Engineers" dated 1976 lists "flat-
pack" ICs (mounting code "T" for glass-to-metal hermetic seals and
"W" ceramic types) ICs quite prominently.

    Surface mount stuff has been around for decades.