[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 19 08:22:20 CDT 2007

>From: William Enestvedt <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu>
>Date: 2007/04/19 Thu AM 08:08:02 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

>ron wrote:
<snip>

>> ...so they provide a torque wrench (of sorts) if you don't have
>> the professional tool to do it.
>>
>   Or, in a 420R, if you just use a screw driver, you can actually rip
>the metal sleeve for the screw clear off the memory riser. There's two
>of them, you know, and I was suprised to learn that the difficulty of
>finding multiple objects that are loose inside a computer rises with the
>_square_ of the quantity of broken parts, not linearly. Who knew?
>
>   Grrrr.....
>
>   I will be retiring that 420R from production as Sun puts it out to
>EOSL pasture, but its never really been Right In The Head since the tech
>performed his radical lobotomy on it and the we got all the guts
>swapped.

This is why I'm glad my E420r came loaded - I have no reason to pull either the CPUs or RAM riser, as all are maxed out...

I hope to try a Creator/Elite framebuffer in the E420r later today as I wait for the cable company to come to my house - my rear projection TV takes a cable card, but we can't get over half the channels. They came on Tuesday to fix the outside cabling, and left behind a cable box with the wrong channel lineup.

Why is cable TV so hard?

Lionel