[rescue] Upgrading Ultra 2

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:43:13 CDT 2007

Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>> $60K for an Ultra 2 Creator back then?  Wow.
>
> I think a SPARCClassic was about $11K in '93, and a U2 is a big step up from
> that.
>
> In 1993, one of my clients bought three PCs for a project I was doing for
> them.  They paid $15K each for 'em.  Yeah, they were DEC PCs, but still.
> The specs?  Pentium 60 (with FP error), with 72 MB RAM and 1 GB hard drive.
> 16 serial ports.  250MB tape drive. 16" monitor.  And SCO UNIX!
>
> Back then, commodity PC memory was $60/MB.  A 1-gig HD was a couple of
> grand.  Etc.
>
> You could spend over $50K on an SGI Indigo2 in '95, and it was a single-CPU
> box.
>
> Just as a goof, I dragged out my 1995 price book, made a few extrapolations,
> and figured out that the SGI Challenge I'm running would have listed for
> $940,000 when it was new.  Of course, you couldn't have actually _bought_ it
> in its current spec, since no one was making 18 GB hard drives, 32X SCSI CD
> drives, etc.
>
> And, of course, $60K was a lot more money in '95 than it is now.
>
> I don't suppose I'll mention the depreciation curve on that stuff, either,
> but we all know it's the only reason we can afford to have the equipment we
> do.

I used to know where to find the original pricing information for my IBM
9672-RX6, but I can't seem to find it now.  It wasn't cheap.

I paid approximately $4000 for it, when it was two years old.  I'm proud
of that one.  Actually, I bought two, and sold the second to a dealer.
Paid me to be out of work for a year.

Peace...  Sridhar