[rescue] Finding antique machines

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:26:09 CDT 2007

On 4/17/07, Carl R. Friend <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:

>     If you're in the Providence, RI area this coming weekend, the
> Retro-Computing Society of RI is holding its monthly open house
> so you can see some really old iron (the earliest piece being a
> Packard Bell 250, a 22-bit serial-architecture machine that uses
> delay-line memory), some nice 1970s-vintage minis, 1980s-vintage
> VAXen and superminis, and some later workstation-class machines.
>
>     They're at Atlantic Mills on Manton Ave in Providence, room 411.

Wait. You've gotta be kidding me.

Seriously, do you know how many times my girlfriend and I've gone
scavenging for crap in the Big Top Flea while she lived in Warwick,
not knowing that a gem like that was in the *same* building?? For
whatever reason, I got the idea that they were somewhere far off in
rural RI--guess I never paid close enough attention to the address...
I would've actively contributed however I could to the cause, or at
least gone for a tour... that's incredible.

*slaps self*

Mind you, I still can (and will), but now that she's moved up to
Cambridge with me, there's less of a reason to be immediately in the
area regularly.

(Incidentally, did the Big Top Flea close down? I thought I had heard
something about that--if not, that would help get her on board for the
trips down.)

-A