[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Apr 17 14:32:43 CDT 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Steve Sandau wrote:
>> I've been making small (gallon or two) batches for several years. A
>> small batch doesn't seem to require much in preparation for me except
>> buying a couple 2-lb. jars of honey, and making sure I have lemons around.
>
> We have a 5-gallon-or-so water-dispenser carboy that we're thinking
> would make a good fermentation vessel ...
>
> Any tips and recipes would be appreciated  :)

Only real tip I have is sterilize everything! Aside from that, the
recipe I use for dry mead is about 3 to 3.5 lb honey, a teaspoon or so
of lemon juice, and half a cup of strong black tea per gallon. I boil it
with half the water for a couple of minutes, then mix in cold water to
make the complete volume and add yeast.

That's about it.

If you are interested in more details, I can type in the whole test of
the recipe from the book I have. I think I have seen some interesting
mead resources online, too.

In any case, it's fun if you have some patience. The first couple of
batches I made were half gone by the time they were ready; I kept
tasting them. ;-)

Steve