[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 14 18:39:45 CDT 2007

>From: Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net>
>Date: 2007/04/14 Sat PM 12:07:14 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

<snip>
>Thanks for all the advice. It started to look like a choice between a
>dual SPARC CPU Blade and a dual-core x64 CPU U20 pretty quickly.
>
>I was starting to lean towards (and maybe I am still) a SunBlade (love
>those USiii CPUs). But if I could run other OSes in a VMWare type
>environment on an Ultra 20, that might be a point in the U20's favor.

A SunBlade 1000 is nice, I'd keep an eye out for the upgrades I mentioned:

Go with 2 Gig of RAM (more gets very expensive)
Get big FC-AL HDs, or an external SCSI case & drives
Don't skimp on the framebuffer - there are some nice options, esp if this is to be a desktop.

All that should be doable w/Anysystem & eBay - I did it for under $800 a year ago... (system from Anysystem, bigger HDs, Framebuffer from eBay - the machine came with dual 900 MHz Cu CPUs and 2 Gig RAM)

Lionel