[rescue] Sun wants money for patch bundles?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 14 13:08:31 CDT 2007

Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>> " From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>> "
>> " You can register a (free) sunsolve account to get recommended/security
>> " patches.  Other stuff requires a contract.
>

> Interestingly,  I've seen that if I follow the link
> "Recommended patch clusters"
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-access
> then I have to have a contract to download the bundle.
> But I can view the README file.
>
> Then, if I instead follow the other link
> "Recommended and Security Patches"
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-license&nav=pub-patches
> then I don't need a contract, just a login, and
> I can download the 9_Recommended.zip file.

Gah!

I try to retrieve my username and password using the "Forgot Username"
list.  It says none of the three email addresses I use has a SunSolve
account associated with it.  (I have Sun licenses and entitlements that
were emailed to this address, which is one of the three I tried.  Sun
says it doesn't exist.)

So I try to re-register.  Firefox "remembers" my username for the
registration form.  So I use it.  I guarantee the username is unique.
(My last name is not common; if you encounter *anyone* *anywhere* in the
world with that surname, spelled that way, they are a blood relation.)
Sun says I can't register that username because it already exists.

So, username confirmed, I go to the "Forgot Password" link and try
submitting *that* with my just-confirmed username.  Sun says the
password can't be reset because the username doesn't exist.

HELLO, SUN?

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438