[rescue] FS: Cisco Local Director (model 416)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 14 11:18:09 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I have a Cisco Local Director[0] that appears to work fine, I have pulled the FLASH memory ISA card and plugged in a PCI video card,and gotten FreeSCO[1] to boot as expected. It really is just a PC with a Celeron 333 MHz CPU and 2x 16 Meg PC66 RAM on an Intel MB[2]

This is a "backwards case" system, meaning the card slots face the front of the cabinet.

It presently has 3 10/100 Intel-chipset PCI cards installed, along with a Number 9 video card (pretty low-end, but it gives you a GUI). To access the PS/2 keybaord/mouse ports, you would need to drill two holes in the front panel. It also has a serial console ports, as well as a "failover" port, which is really a serial port with a non-standard connector (DB-15?). It also has a floppy drive that can be used to boot into FreeSCO, nd IDE HDs can be added, but there are no provisions for physically installing the drive in the case, you'd have to hack something up...

As I said, FreeSCO identified all the ports, so it could be used for that, or as a more robust network appliance use by adding an IDE HD. Additional PC66 RAM is available for very low prices[3], and th eMB will take up to a PII/450 CPU and support PC100 bus/memory speed if you like. It has a beefy power supply as well, given the small requirements of this machine.

I'd like to get a couple dollars over actual shipping for this item, since the Intel 10/100 cards could be pulled and used elsewhere, but I'd rather the machine go as-is.

It could make a nice router, or if you throw in a decent PII CPU, additional RAM, and an HD or two, it could make a decent litle web appliance...

It comes with NO RACKMOUNT hardware, but it is a pretty standard-looking 4U case.

If interested,please don't hesitate to contact me off-list.

Thanks,

Lionel

Notes:

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_LocalDirector