[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 14 10:30:16 CDT 2007

>From: Mark <md.benson at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/04/14 Sat AM 10:24:43 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

>On 14 Apr 2007, at 02:04, Steve Sandau wrote:
>
>> Basically I'd like a faster main workstation that is not PeeCee
>> crap. I
>> have to deal with Dells and such all too often.
>>
>> Suggestions or opinions?
>
>You could buy a Mac Pro, Solaris 10 runs really nicely in Parallels
>if you have sufficient RAM, as long as you don't mind sacrificing
>your OpenGL support. That said OS X itself supports a large rage of
>Open Source stuff so you wouldn't be totally out of it. I haven't had
>success booting Solaris 10 as yet but as and when Sun start rolling
>out Intel hardware then EFI support will roll out with Solaris 10 at
>the same time.
>
>I know, it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I had to drop it in as
>a very satisfied Mac Pro user :o)

Actually, a MacBook might be a nice desktop - you can run Solaris in Parallels (or VMWare under Apple Boot Camp WinXP), and have a portable solution to boot... It could be an interesting way to go...

I am quite fond of my MacBook Pro, but it is a bit out of your target price range (closer to $1,500 that $1,000), but MacBooks are $1,000 and up new, IIRC...

Lionel