[rescue] Sun wants money for patch bundles?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 14 07:49:21 CDT 2007

>From: Andrew Gaylard <ag at computer.org>
>Date: 2007/04/14 Sat AM 03:15:39 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun wants money for patch bundles?

>Another question:  it seems that Sun doesn't require a contract
>for any patches for Solaris-10.  Is this correct? Is it likely to
>remain this way?
>
>If so, then I'd happily upgrade, except that I'm told that my Ultra-2/200
>can't run Solaris-10.  Or is that problem fixed nowadays?

IIRC the 200 MHz CPUs are UltrSPARC I CPUS, and are not supported by Solaris 10, however, a pair of 300 MHz CPUs can be had very affordably from eBay, and a simple jumper change to run at the new speed will give you a system that is (most likely) twice as fast as your current system for between $15-30, and can run Solaris 10 without issue.

>I assume that with Solaris becoming open-sourced, charging
>bucks for fixes will not be sustainable.  I for one would happily
>roll my own, in that case.

I wouldn't say that - a free version doesn't mean the commercial version can't thrive, and there are differences between the two.

Lionel