[rescue] I got a new Octane! Why can't I talk to it?

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Tue Apr 10 12:56:25 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 11:03:51PM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> I wanted to followup and say... this ended up working. Thanks a bunch!
>
> The only thing I've left to do is finish downloading my install cd so
> I can reset the root password and look around before reinstalling.

Glad to hear it. Not knowing the provenance of this machine, I'd
suggest you take a look in /var/flexlm/license.dat and make a copy
if their is anything in it. It's possible that the machine had
either interesting 3rd party software licensed to it or interesting
parts of Irix licensed to it (e.g. drive mirroring).

Since most vendors aren't selling Irix ports anymore, heck SGI isn't
even selling Irix anymore, it can be tough to recover these licenses.
I can't really comment on the legality of license transfers, but at
least you'd have a place to start on determining such legality.

Jody