[rescue] Google Map - My Map feature

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 10 08:32:30 CDT 2007

Steve Hatle wrote:
> On 4/10/07 8:00 AM, "Lionel Peterson" <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> Honestly, were someone to point a nuke at the continental US, they would
>> likely pick a target for non-strategic purpose - most likely it would be
>> symbolic...
>

> Reminds me of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"...

Right down to the crowd gathered at the impact point because "they'll
never actually hit it"?

I find myself reminded of the development of the Tallboy and Grand Slam
during WW2.  Both bombs were designed to produce a "camouflet" effect --
i.e, penetrate deeply into the ground then explode, forming a
subterranean cavity that would then collapse, swallowing up the target.
 During one of the tests, it was decided that they should attempt to
photograph the formation of the cavity.  To this end, a
remote-controlled camera was buried under the target circle.  There was
some discussion ofer where, exactly, to bury the camera for the best
results; eventually, largely at the insistence of bureaucrats, the
camera was buried in the exact center of the target circle on the
principle that the bomb was almost certain to be off-target.

The test bomb was dropped from a Lancaster of 617 Squadron, the RAF's
elite precision-bombing squadron.

Fairly predictably, the 617 crew, dropping their bomb from something
like 18,000 feet, scored a direct hit on the camera....

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438