[rescue] Semi-OT: Circuit-board repair of material-handling controller?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Apr 5 12:07:58 CDT 2007

Whoa, Wes, good call on begging for another customer to get their
spares!

You also suggested:

> Send the dead board to the original manufacturer via ground shipment
> and have them overnight or same-day a replacement part. Then they can
> inspect and / or repair the dead item at their leisure and spare it
> out to the next outfit that has the same item die.

   Unfortunately, this was apparently like "the biggest carousel evar"
or something, and Remstar just shrugs when asked about spares. We could
ask for a schematic, I think -- or look more closely at what's printed
inside the cabinet -- but they may give the same on-answer. But I will
try that.
   Or do you mean find out who did the manufacturing _for_
Raymond/Remstar and ask them? I never thought of going that far.
   We have a few Wang servers here at work, and I'm getting used to
seeing rebuilt/refurb parts. :7)

   You're right about this being part of the turntable. It looks like
it's set off on the wall of the warehouse, though it's hard to tell just
what it's wired to.

> With [the schematic], you can very possibly get it repaired pretty
> much anywhere that does industrial control work, that motor control
> board is likely pretty bog-standard. I would look in the yellow
> pages for someone doing installation of industrial materials
> handling equipment and see if they're up for this sort of repair.

   An excellent suggestion -- I wish I had thought of it myself.

  Much appreciated Wes and Ethan.

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt