[rescue] I got a new Octane! Why can't I talk to it?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 4 16:25:59 CDT 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> I did something very similar to get my first SGI (an Indigo 2) to work
> with PC clone monitor (that supported sync on green) - only I built an
> adapter that went from 15 pin VGA M-F that only carried six wires
> (R,G,B, and their respective grounds) through it, and used it with a
> 13W3-VGA adapter. It worked wonderfully.

I built one of those from a Sun 13w3<->DE15 adapter by trimming the 10
pins in the center.  If the tube will do SoG, the barrel "pins" are all
you need.

Note that if you do that (or pretty-much any monitor hack), IRIX will
think you have a 19" tube with crap resolution, but it can be schooled
appropriately.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."