[rescue] I got a new Octane! Why can't I talk to it?

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Apr 4 09:44:36 CDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:35:41AM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

| > The machine is set to boot from graphics and you are trying to connect
| > to a non-13w3 monitor using a Sun (or one labeled Sun/SGI/DEC)
| > 13w3->HD15 adapter.
|
| Yes, that is correct. I'm using a 13w3 adapter with a trinitron,
| which DOES definitely work with my Sun machines.

It's been a while since I've messed with my SGI, but the 13w3 adapter
it has has a different pinout than the 13w3 adapters I had for my
Suns.  The cables fit in the holes, but the screen would not work if
you didn't get the right cable.

| > The coaxial bits of the 13w3 connector (the w3 part) are reasonably
| > standard across vendors. The stuff in the middle (the 13 part) is not.
| > So, if your adapter works with Suns it likely won't work with an SGI.
| > I've found that many monitors are confused if, say, they are recieving
| > H sync on one of the Monitor ID pins.
|
| Really? I thought the adapter was supposed to work with all of the
| vendors. Hrm.

Definately not.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Freedom begins between the ears.	-- Edward Abbey