[rescue] Real amp draw of E3000

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Sep 21 10:39:40 CDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> I think, based on my experience with an E4000, that you should budget
> 750W available for when it starts, and about 400W to 500W continuous.
> I think 340W continuous was what the E4000 used with 8x250Mhz CPUs,
> 5-6GB and a few internal disks.

My E4000 pulled substantially more power at 10 336MHz CPUs, 10GB memory,
and two I/O boards.  IIRC it was closer to a kilowatt -sustained- under
maximum CPU load.  It was a staggering amount of power for having no
disks whatsoever, but it was a very dense package of logic.

My E3000 doesn't pull much power.  It's configured with 4.5GB memory,
six 250MHz processors, and four 10krpm disks.  It's a lot closer to the
500W continuous figure you gave.

--
Jonathan Patschke   "The ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes,
Elgin, TX            the powerful dictate what they desire--they all con-