[rescue] Sun Blade 100: no video, no beep on poweron

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 15 11:00:58 CDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:31:57 -0400, Micah R Ledbetter
<vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 12:55, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>>> Date: 2006/09/14 Thu AM 10:17:22 CDT
>>> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun Blade 100: no video, no beep on poweron
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Additionally, it doesn't beep when *no* keyboard is attached, either.
>>> Would that perhaps indicate that the keyboard isn't the (only) issue?
>>
>> Never had a Sun Blade 100, but with my haul of Ultra 1/2/5/10 and
>> other machines (see earlier post a couple weeks ago), I've found
>> that STOP-N has brought quite a few _dead_ machines back to life.
>> Of course, with a PC keyboard you don't have a "stop" key, and I'm
>> not sure about alternate key combinations to cause the same effect...
>
> My understanding, again based on the Unofficial FAQ, is that STOP-N
> (or Ctrl-Brk) doesn't work for USB keyboards. I'll give it a try,
> though.

Jackpot!  http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-1664-05/6m82ltort?a=view

OpenBoot Emergency Procedures for Systems with USB Keyboards

Stop-A (Abort) works the same as it does on systems with standard
keyboards, except that it does not work during the first few seconds
|after the machine is reset.

Stop-N Equivalent:

1. After turning on the power to your system, wait until the front panel
power button LED begins to blink and you hear an audible beep.
2. Quickly press the front panel power button twice (similar to the way
you would double-click a mouse).
A screen similar to the following is displayed to indicate that you have
successfully reset the NVRAM contents to the default values: