[rescue] Sun Blade 100: no video, no beep on poweron

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 14 21:05:54 CDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:06:53 -0400, Micah R Ledbetter
<vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:

> I just bought a broken Sun Blade 100 on ebay for $20 (hooray local
> pickup), and I want to see if I can fix it. When I boot it up with a
> keyboard and display attached, the hard disk, fans, etc all receive
> power, but the machine doesn't beep, and nothing is displayed to
> video. The ebay auction just said "Doesn't POST, no beep".
>
> The internal speaker does work - if I put the single stick of RAM in
> the wrong slot, it will beep loudly.
>
> I would have tried connecting to ttya, but my understanding is that
> it should beep regardless, and I don't have a cable handy until this
> weekend anyway.

I thought that Suns only beep when powered on with a keyboard connected
(the speaker that beeps is inside the keyboard; the box itself doesn't
have a buzzer, aside from the soundcard).  Then again, the newest thing
that I have is an Ultra 60, but I remember when I got it, the seller said
that he didn't know if it was working.  It turned out that it was
configured to only accept input and display output through ttya:

| {0} ok printenv
| Variable Name         Value                          Default Value
| output-device         ttya                           screen
| input-device          ttya                           keyboard

I'd definitely try it with the null modem cable; it might turn out that
it's not even trying to use the screen and keyboard.