[rescue] "svc.startd" question - 32% system utilization?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 8 17:25:05 CDT 2006

>> Whenever I ran prstat or top on Solaris 9 or 10, the CPU usage
>> percentage
>> figures seemed like a 1 minute average instead of a near-instantaneous
>> figure.  Can anybody confirm this somehow?  It sort of bugs me to see
>> pegged process slowly crawl up in CPU usage when top on Linux would
>> show
>> it as 99% instantaneously.
>
> The difference would be the time slice involved (obviously) - If it
> really was "instantaneous" it would only indicate "top" or "prstat"
> and peg it at 100% ;^)

The very first value from vmstat and I believe top represents a
historical average since the machine was last booted.  Only after the
first line (for vmstat) or refresh (for top) do you start getting
useful values.

The prstat util can be refreshed at any time by hitting the space bar.
Also you will want to read the man page and try different options, like
-mL for instance.

Cordially
Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net