[rescue] "svc.startd" question - 32% system utilization?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 8 09:38:56 CDT 2006

Hello all,

I have an Ultra 10 (440 MHz, 1024 Meg, IDE-based) acting as an install server (not Jumpstart, just serving up files for network installs), and while trying to get a Netra T1 setup, I noticed the "svc.startd" system process was consuming about 32% of the available system resources (as reported by 'top' - so apply a grain of salt to that number) - that seemed odd.

I looked at the system becuse the install was running quite slowly (3 hours running, only 400 Meg installed out of 3700 Meg). I've renooted the Ultra 10, and am restarting the install now...

But my question is, understanding that "svc.startd" is a catch-all for lots of system processes, is that amount of CPU utilization correct?

With the current install running, it is at about 10% (again, as reported by 'top')...

Lionel