[rescue] speaking of WEP

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Sep 7 16:07:55 CDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Gary wrote:
> I prefer WPA2.  WEP is so trivial to break with the proper tools (kismet,
> etc) that is poses zero challenge to anyone who can load up the proper app
> and click a few buttons.

Nice if your hardware supports it.  I have several wireless music streaming
appliances, a pda, and some older equipment that doesn't.  I treat the subnet
on my wireless router as a DMZ (even though I use 128-bit WEP, MAC filtering,
and don't broadcast my SSID) and my wired machines are behind another (non wireless)
NAT firewall/router with its WAN port connected to one of the wireless router's
LAN ports.  I have another wireless router so I could have a second WLAN with WPA
but I'm not doing that right now.  My existing WLAN is also locked at 802.11b
only (although it's a wrt54g and will do 802.11g) on the theory that if someone
wants to hack a network a G will be sexier.  :)

-DanD

# begin 644 sig2
# 966]U('-H;W5L9"!G970@;W5T(&UO<F4N"@``
# `