[rescue] speaking of WEP

Lincoln Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Wed Sep 6 17:25:16 CDT 2006

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:32:11PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> Surely I'm not the only one who only runs 64-bit WEP at home?
>
> IMHO it does not really matter. If someone is going to break your WEP key
> they can do it with a 256 bit key too. All they need is a fast computer
> and some time.
>
> I really think that everyone should use WEP and it's real reason is to
> make the guy driving down the street looking for a place to download
> porn, or send out spam, just keeps on going to the next site.
>
>> My house is surrounded by WLANs.  In an area this big:
>>
>> http://www.mrbill.net/wardrive.jpg
>>
>> I found almost a hundred wireless networks when I went
>> wardriving back in January.
>
> And 95 of them are unecrypted and their SSID is something like default,
> or linksys...........
>
> Geoff.

Ya know what. I run mine unencrypted and broadcast my SSID with no WEP
or WPA.  But I use mac address filtering.  It's faster to set up that
way and you are really only keeping the honest people honest anyhow.  If
someone really wants a spot to sit and play they will move 20 feet to my
neighbors "Linksys G" unprotected wireless router and do their business
there instead of hanging out all damn day trying to sniff around for the
    2 mac addresses I use to get on mine so they can set up mac spoofing;-)

--
-Linc Fessenden