[rescue] speaking of WEP

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Sep 6 15:48:43 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:32:11PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Surely I'm not the only one who only runs 64-bit WEP at home?

IMHO it does not really matter. If someone is going to break your WEP key
they can do it with a 256 bit key too. All they need is a fast computer
and some time.

I really think that everyone should use WEP and it's real reason is to
make the guy driving down the street looking for a place to download
porn, or send out spam, just keeps on going to the next site.

> My house is surrounded by WLANs.  In an area this big:
>
> http://www.mrbill.net/wardrive.jpg
>
> I found almost a hundred wireless networks when I went
> wardriving back in January.

And 95 of them are unecrypted and their SSID is something like default,
or linksys...........

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838