[rescue] speaking of WEP

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Sep 6 15:41:51 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:32:11PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Surely I'm not the only one who only runs 64-bit WEP at home?

I run 128 bit WEP, but that's cuz that's as good as I can get with my
PRISM II card in my Sparcbook under NetBSD. =)

> (so I can remember the passphrase)

I keep all my WEP keys in a text file on a USB key.

> If anybody's dedicated enough to break the key and sniff the
> traffic, all they're going to see is SSH anyway....

I do it more to stop the guy from spamming the world from in front of my
house than to stop snooping.

> My house is surrounded by WLANs.  In an area this big:
>
> http://www.mrbill.net/wardrive.jpg
>
> I found almost a hundred wireless networks when I went
> wardriving back in January.

I've not gone wardriving, but from my livingroom, I can only see one
other AP, and it's WEP protected too.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org