[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 28 07:42:25 CDT 2006

>From: Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>
>Date: 2006/10/27 Fri PM 07:47:57 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

>On 27 Oct 2006, at 03:35, Andy Wallis wrote:
>[...]
>> Before answering, my personal definitions for true "Mission Critical"
>> are these:
>> Mission Critical: If it fails, it will be front page news and it
>> won't be good.
>[etc]
>
>I'll tell you what's scary. A manager visibly shaking at your desk
>pointing out that they'll be out a quarter million if your project -
>which has just keeled over despite some late evenings beating it into
>shape - doesn't fly, and you don't know how to fix it. I could almost
>see my P45 (en_US: pink slip) in front of me there and then.
>
>As it so happens, I did pull that particular rabbit out of the hat
>and it *is* front page news, but in a good way. But I'd rather have
>not been in that position, TYVM.

I wasn't there for it, but at previous job where I did technical support for a mainframe development tool had a client that used the tool to manage truck shipments at a just in time lumber mill ( a BIG lumber mill). Anyway, after about 90 minutes of downtime the semis were backed out on to the highway, and the state troopers (with sidearms) found their way to the data center insisting that those trucks get moving NOW, it, uhm, causes you to focus.

Lionel