[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Oct 27 16:34:22 CDT 2006

Thu, 26 Oct 2006 @ 23:53 +0100, Steven Hill said:

> > If you think Solaris doesn't have problems that hurt mission critical
> > applications, you are painfully naive.
>
> I'd expect people would be less likely to deploy Solaris to a mission
> critical problem if it wasn't the right tool for the job, purley due to
> the costs and skills involved.

There plenty of shops out there with more money than brains.

Like I said: naive.

> If someone is deploying Sun hardware / Solaris to a task it isn't
> suited, they're clearly too stupid to be running systems. In which
> case, my rates are very reasonable.

Either that, or they are committed to a platform and can't switch, or
maybe they realize that almost all of them have problems that have to be
worked around.

Solaris was a dog for years, both in performance and reliability, so
were you recommending it for mission critical jobs back then?

Part of an engineers job is making use of what they have.

> > Linux is an umbrella term that is almost useless, but nevertheless
> > there are "linux systems" that are used in critical applications and
> > they perform very well.
>
> Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

Is that supposed to be a refutation of what I said?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak
is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime