[rescue] Lossless audio capture

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Fri Oct 27 10:26:34 CDT 2006

Sridhar Ayengar writes ...

> Can anyone tell me:
>
> How much power does an Indy use?

Very little.  The ones with the Sony power supplies have
temperature-sensitive fans, and the machines seldom get hot enough to run
them.

> Does it have S-PDIF outputs?

Nah.  I think the Indy predates that stuff.  Maybe there's an accessory
card, but the normal Indy's connectors are S-Video, composite (RCA plug)
video, and the weird connector for an IndyCam.  There's an output for 3D
glasses, too.  Audio stuff is all 1/8" plugs.  I can't remember if an Indy
does digital through that input as well as analog.

> Does it have enough horsepower to encode/decode DivX and XviD
> in real-time?

I wouldn't think so.  Even my R5K unit can hardly keep up with showing
composite video that's coming in from an external source.

> I'm asking this because I have a friend for whom an Indy
> might be a good solution.

The Indy was a great machine in its day, but it's old.  I think they stopped
making them over 10 years ago, and you know what the last 10 years has been
like, computer-speed-wise.

You probably need at least a mid-spec Octane for that kind of stuff, though
the Indy's replacement, the O2, might do.  I have no O2 experience, though,
and have hardly used my "new" Octane enough to gauge its capabilities.
Unfortunately, the Octane is big, loud, and hot, while an Indy is small,
quiet, and cool.

-Shel