[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Oct 26 10:44:16 CDT 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 01:11, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:41:07PM -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > And that's why IBM ported it to their mainframe gear.
>
> Well, they had to prove that even mainframes crash once in a while.
> 8-)

They aparently didn't need Linux for that.  Purdue's mainframe (the
whole box, not just one VM) aparently

They aparently didn't need Linux for that.  Purdue's mainframe (the
whole box, not just one VM) aparently crashed last week, for reasons
unknown.  I was rather suprised to hear that, actually..

> > Great, another flame war coming on...
>
> Actually I've been looking for some sort of *recent* and up-to-date
> tutorial on getting Linux (any distribution that supports it) up and
> running under Hercules emulator, just to be a sick puppy.  Any
> suggestions?

Yeah, there's a good "debian on hercules" tutorial, but it's a bit out
of date (and Hercules has changed its file formats somewhat).
http://www.sinenomine.net/node/336

There's some info on the changes that are necessary to work with current
hercules in this mailing list thread:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-s390/2004/11/msg00003.html

There's also a pre-installed system image and config file here:
http://people.debian.org/~mdz/hercules/

And, the Debian/S/390 install guides for sarge and etch, respectively:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/s390/
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/s390/

Pat
--