[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Oct 23 08:23:50 CDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 4:24 AM, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> Does this apply to the E6800 too?
>
> I've been offered one for free, but again, the costs of
> transportation are
> considerable...
>
> If it makes any difference, I'd prefer to go with Linux on it
> instead of
> Solaris.

Why would you run Linux on big Sun iron that is current?  You can't
get anywhere near the maximum use of that hardware nor can you get
the scalability.  I'd understand if it was Sun4d which is no longer
supported by Sun, but the 6800 is a baby in those terms.  Running
Linux on any of the large Sunfires 6xxx, 10xxx, 15K, etc. would be
like buying a BMW 725i.  (Yes they did exist in Europe).  Giant
car... undersized engine.

Andrew