[rescue] E6500/F6800 (was Re: advice on rescuing an e10k)

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Mon Oct 23 03:28:03 CDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> On Friday 20 October 2006 04:24, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
> > On 10/20/06, Ahmed Ewing <aewing at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > All domain configuration including NVRAM information is stored on
> > > the SSP workstation(s) if a domain is already configured on the
> > > frame... but even if
> > > they are donating you the SSP(s) too, there's never a guarantee
> > > that the disks will survive the transport trip. Get the license
> > > keys (a very long hexadecimal string) in writing from the donor, or
> > > be prepared to go back to
> > > Sun, to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars the first time you
> > > need to
> > > create/recreate a domain.
> >
> > Does this apply to the E6800 too?
>
> Do you mean an F6800 or an E6500?

I'm pretty sure it's one of these:
http://www.sun.com/servers/midrange/sunfire6800/index.xml

> I've been offered one for free, but again, the costs of
> > transportation are considerable...
>
> You can probably get shipping costs lowered quite a bit if you have them
> ship it to you without the rack... just make sure that they ship you
> the key switch module (in the rack) and cable that connects from the
> system to the keyswitch with the system.  Otherwise, it'll be a bit
> hard to turn it on. :)

Oddly enough, the reason they're getting rid of it is that the racks "don't
match the corporate colour scheme".  (Really.)  So I get it it provided I
take the racks too.  Not that I'm complaining...

> If it makes any difference, I'd prefer to go with Linux on it instead

> > of Solaris.
>
> I've done that before.  It was my Linux first box with 22-24 processors
> and about the same GB of RAM. :)  I don't remember any specific
> problems with running Linux on it, I think it worked properly

Excellent! Thanks, Pat, for all these tips.

Andrew.