[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Oct 20 14:47:09 CDT 2006

On 20 Oct 2006, at 03:50, Lionel Peterson wrote:
[...]
>  - what are the locations (from/to) we are talking about? What is
> the distance? To rent a truck is typically a $1/mile, give or take
> - not too bad for a local move, but over 500 miles it gets pricey
> (IMHO) and the original quote may be reasonable (when you add
> shipping materials, insurance, and other expenses)...

Wow, that's expensive.

Were it the UK, I'd possibly suggest using the likes of Taxi-Vans. I
used them to move house - it was 300 quid and two blokes turned up
with a van, piled my house into it at one end, drove 120 miles, then
filled the flat up at the other. Despite running out of packing boxes
and some stuff travelling loose, nothing broke in transit. Call me
impressed.

I think I'd trust them to move an E10k for me. If I wasn't too fussed
about when it arrived (they'd wait until they had a vanful from other
customers and do a same-day collection and delivery), it'd probably
only set me back about a ton to move it across the UK.