[rescue] Using old MC5 terminal on Sun Fire V210

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Oct 10 15:02:46 CDT 2006

How can I cable up an MC5 terminal to a Sun Fire V210?

   I am trying to set up a new Sun Fire V210 and the Administration
Guide tells me to use the serial port to set a password during the
initial install. I have an old terminal that was on our Sequent server
some years ago. Can I use the terminal on the V210?

   The terminal's back bears a tag with "Link Technologies" on it as
well as "Model: Sequent-MC5" -- so I think this is a Link [now owned by
Wyse] MC5, as shown here:
     www.wyse.com/service/discontd/terminals/linkmc5.asp

   When I plug the MC5's RJ45-to-25-pin cable right into the V210's
"Serial cable" jack I do see the progress of the self-test, but it won't
take any input from the MC5's keyboard (including the hash-period (#.)
combination to dump out of the self-test to the 'sc' prompt).

   The MC5 is already 9600-8-N-1, though it defaults to XON/XOFF
flow-control on transmit but not receive.

   I doubt that it's the cable because I recall using this MC5 as a
terminal and typing on it.

   Does this require interposing an adapter as I do between Sun Fire
servers and Cyclades terminal servers (whose adapter doesn't help), or
some configuration on the MC5? I have dug through the UNIX Serial Port
Resources pages and STFW, but I have come up empty.

   Thank you for any suggestions.

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt