[rescue] DLT drive dead want to replace without rebooting

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 20:51:35 CST 2006

On 11/28/06, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> You sure you cannot hotswap the drive?  Just make sure nothing is using
> it, then unplug and plug in the new one, then run devfsadm.
>
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Brian Deloria wrote:
>
> > Ultra 60, Solaris 9.  I've already got a spare NVRAM, my predecessor
> > was
> > kind enough to have one on hand before departing.

*Technically* speaking, you probably don't even have to run devfsadm if
you're replacing it with an identical DLT featuring the same SCSI target
number... the device node is already present from the failed one, and you
don't have any unique identifiers to worry about. You *should* be able to
power off the enclosure, replace the drive, and power the enclosure back on,
and the host *should* be none the wiser. YMMV.

If you do need to run devfsadm, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run it as
follows:

# devfsadm -c tape

This will limit any changes to that specific device class. No need to stir
up any unnecessary changes on a box that needs to stay up.

Hope that helps,

-A