[rescue] DLT drive dead want to replace without rebooting

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Nov 29 17:07:40 CST 2006

Wed, 29 Nov 2006 @ 14:22 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> How is "echo 'something magic' > /sys/devices/something/somewhere" any
> more handly than "xyzcontrol -r -q 1"?

I think the point being made was for writing new code, /proc is easier
than using kernel header files to access kernel data structures
directly.

It's also more secure, and it allows the kernel writers to change kernel
data structures without changing the interfaces to kernel information.

Sun also uses /proc, and those are two of the reasons they cited for
doing it.

>    [jp at lark0:/sys/devices/acpi/power]$ ls
>    state  wakeup
>    [jp at lark0:/sys/devices/acpi/power]$ cat state
>    0
>    [jp at lark0:/sys/devices/acpi/power]$ #  Huh.  Wonder what "0" means.
>    [jp at lark0:/sys/devices/acpi/power]$ man sys
>    No manual entry for sys

Here you are talking about the documentation. It sucks, but that's not
relevant to wether or not the idea itself is good.

Sun's documentation for /proc isn't great either.

Do you really think the idea of /proc and /sys in Linux and Solaris is
bad, or is it just the documentation?

Also, you don't have to ever touch /proc or /sys, since there are
front-end utilities already written which use them.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The grieving lords take ship.  With these
our very souls pass overseas." -- Exile]