[rescue] x86 power question

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Nov 14 14:46:37 CST 2006

On 14 Nov 2006, at 20:22, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> How can a plain home PC possibly justify 1kW?
> A PCI express video card just came across my desk five minutes ago, on
> the way to $ork's compatibility testing lab.
> Said card has SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY MEGABYTES of DDR3 video RAM.

I'd make a joke that 640MB is enough for anybody, but 1GB cards are
out now. (Both are around #300.)

Indeed, given that the 640MB units are starting to be pitched on Scan
Today Only - the place that hardware that's depreciating a bit *too*
rapidly while sat in the warehouse is offloaded -  they're evidently
being considered old hat already.

> I suspect the power budget for that device is astronomical.

Assuming the 8800GTS, about 150W peak.