[rescue] x86 power question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:28:52 CST 2006

On 11/14/06, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > How can a plain home PC possibly justify 1kW?
>
> A PCI express video card just came across my desk five minutes ago, on
> the way to $ork's compatibility testing lab.
>
> Said card has SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY MEGABYTES of DDR3 video RAM.
>
> I suspect the power budget for that device is astronomical.

It's insane, isn't it?  I mean at the rate things are going, the power
saved by switching from CRTs to LCDs will be easily eaten up by the
power consumed (and probably surpassed) by the video cards driving
said LCDs.

And then there's the whole "I can't hear you over the cooling fan!" problem. :-/

=Nadine=