[rescue] A5000, 22x9.1GB, QLogic QLA2100F controller, asking $550

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Mar 31 23:27:13 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 23:35, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:35:58PM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > It was never intended to be like FC - it's a consumer/entry-level server
> > spec.
>
> NetApp and EMC are now touting SATA as cheaper, slower alternatives to
> FC on their storage systems, for people that dont need FC performance.

I think that Solaris with ZFS is going to eat up a lot of market from
the low-end storage appliance market.

Their RAIDZ implementation is pretty nice, and they have snapshots,
which are just wonderful.  The command line interface is nice and easy.

ZFS = snapshots, backup, easy to use means that the bar has been raised
for the cheaper systems - just buy a single core Opteron with gigabit
interface and add SATA drives - has 80% of Netapp usefulness for 10% of
the price.

--Patrick