[rescue] A5000, 22x9.1GB, QLogic QLA2100F controller, asking $550

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Fri Mar 31 15:59:51 CST 2006

> Can you easily get controllers for PCI, Sun and PC machines?  Are they
> expensive?

Yup. Qlogic 2100 and 2200 should be dirt cheap.

> I would like to upgrade, but the price of SCSI drives is the biggest worry, as
> the drives I want will cost more than the machine.

I just noticed that 73GB SCA disks are like $40 on pricewatch now... quite
the shock, I'm going to get some for my Compaq DL360s

> I've been looking at FC drives, but haven't really found good deals on the
> controllers, and don't really know which one are the good ones.

The bigger issue is interfacing to the back of the disk. SCA-40 or
SCA-20... SCA-20 IIRC. 4 wire interface (TX/GND RX/GND x 2 channels IIRC).

Neat stuff. SATA should have been like Fibre channel.