[rescue] Anyone have IRIX 6.5?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat Mar 25 06:25:43 CST 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:52:45 -0500, Aaron Finley wrote:
> have the EVO card and the EVO piggy. Is the EVO card and camera worth
> anything anymore? I know the digital video card is still worth over a
> grand, but I doubt this is.

Things like that usually retain some value ... it is relatively rare,
and there's still some fools using Octanes as their primary workstation
(ho hum). There's an Ebay auction for just the EVO card at the moment
indicating the value might be in the hundreds of dollars.

> Anyway, does anyone have an IRIX set they don't want, to sell or let
> me borrow for a couple days? I'll pay shipping and a tip both ways.

I could probably dig up an old set, but it is probably not worth the
hassle dealing with international shipping.

> I have simply for nostalgic purposes (and as a white noise generator:
> reports of Octane's loudness are greatly underexaggerated, wow).

I keep mine in the next room attached with a long video lead.

Of course it could be noisier than it needs to be. A good cleanout can
sometimes help, and check that the fan hasn't been switched into fast
mode :-

http://zonky.org/notes/sgi-octane-fs.html