[rescue] Putting an insecure machine on a network

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Tue Mar 21 21:12:28 CST 2006

At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:07 PM, laz at moaa.net wrote:

(Me)

>> Maybe I'm just showing off how much I've forgotten about Solaris over
>> the last few years, but didn't they do this backwards? ISTR that
>> Solaris would automatically enable forwarding when it detected
>> multiple interfaces and you touched /etc/notrouter if you didn't
>> want the startup scripts to do this.
>>
>> /etc/defaultrouter then contains either the hostname or the IP
>> address of the default gateway.
>>
>> Please tell me I haven't forgotten this.
> half and half on your memory.
> in.routed will not start if /etc/notrouter exists, OR there is an
> /etc/defaultrouter entry.

Actually, I looked it up because that didn't sound correct. From the Sun
Solaris 7 docs:

"When the machine reboots, the startup script looks for the presence of
the /etc/notrouter file. If the file exists, the startup script does not
run in.routed -s or in.rdisc -r, and does not turn on IP forwarding on
all interfaces configured "up" by ifconfig. This happens regardless of
whether an /etc/gateways file exists. Thus the machine is now a
multihomed host."

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/