[rescue] NeWS

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 11 20:32:32 CST 2006

Mon, 27 Feb 2006 @ 13:56 -0800, Sheldon T. Hall said:

> Peter Corlett writes ...
> > Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > > Peter Corlett wrote:
> > [...]
> > > The problem's not so much that it doesn't have one, as that
> > > it has so MANY.
> >
> > Well, at least you usually only have a single one on a given
> > "real" Unix system.
>
> Or not.  If you only install "packages," maybe, but for some versions of
> UNIX, you can't get everything you want in packages, or the packages aren't
> updated often enough, or at all.

Well, you are supposed to build the software yourself, and create a package
for it, and then install your package.

I do that (usually) with Slackware because it works.

It also works out very well with NetBSD, though it is a bit harder.
Mainly because Slackware has a bare minimum package system.

I still use /usr/local/ for various reasons, though I do try to use a package
system to maintain everything in /usr/local/app, and then use links to put it
in the standard /usr/local tree.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every