[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 19:36:12 CDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> For me, the effect is the opposite.  I find it harder to read
> an electronic display.  I can tolerate a god B&W monitor
> but find things like LCD's make it look like I am looking through
> lots of ice crystals (!)  (hard to explain the visual appearance)

PDA size LCD seems very readable; I have less luck reading "in depth",
lack of a better term, on larger LCDs.  I presume it has something to
do with the reflective backing or something, I can't say that I have
investigated the differences between the types, so I am guessing.

When I am reading on an LCD (even the nice new Dell wide screen at
$ork), I tend to scan more, and read longer articles, etc. less.

> Yup.  In my case, I carry two books when traveling -- one for the
> outbound flight and another for the return.  I don't read after
> arriving, etc.  (other things to do)

I have trouble making up my mind about what I want to read, so the PDA
gives me more flexibility than dragging books along.

> I'm not fond of reading in libraries.  It's just not where
> I want to be when I am "recreating"  :>  Also, I rarely
> sit and read a book cover to cover so I'd prefer having
> it where I decide it would be most appropriate to "consume"
> ("imbibe"?  :> )

Consume would be the husband unit--he would read me out of house and
home if he had his druthers.  I read all over the place myself, but
having a cozy place with a variety of places to sit would encourage me
to do less "wasteful" activities like spending too much time surfing
the web or watching junk tv.  Though, admittedly, as I've gotten
older, I seem to have less ability to hyperfocus; I'm not wanting to
sit still for long periods.

I'd still be reading other places, but occassionally, you find that
gem and want to "absorb" it.

> Other books are much more enjoyable "at stoplights" (!).
> Though I have found that I can not read while a car is
> in motion (assuming I am NOT driving it!)

Husband unit has been known to read while driving.  He used to go back
and forth regularly between Vancouver and Edmonton, and there are long
stretches of flat highway with very, very few other cars.  He reads
fast enough that he can absorb a paragraph or two and then look
up...for pages and pages.  Oddly enough, he tells me he finds certain
kinds of music more distracting to his driving than a book on the
steering wheel.

=Nadine=