[rescue] Pointers or how-to create an install server?

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Fri Jun 30 14:54:32 CDT 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a simple set of instructions fo rcreating an Install Server for Solaris 10? All I want to do is have a machine on my network that can serve up installation files to other machines on the network. In my mind I'll be installing interactively, I just don't want to have to cart around media and swap disks as I build up systems...
>
> Supporting UltraSPARC and x86 would be nice, but far from neccessary for my needs.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lionel

For me, the easiest way is to first download the Solaris 10 DVD image
and cat the parts together to reassemble the DVD iso.

Add the iso image as a loopback device:
'lofiadm -a /path/to/solaris.iso'

Mount the lofi device as a filesystem:
mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt

cd /mnt/Solaris_10/Tools

./add_install_client -i 192.168.x.x -e aa:bb:cc:dd;ee:ff machine_name
machine_platform

where:

-i specifies the client's ip address, -e specifies the client's MAC
address, machine_name is the client's short hostname, and
machine_platform is sun4u, etc.

add_install_client will populate the necessary files in /etc and turn on
all the appropriate services (through SMF.)

repeat the add_install_client script for additional clients and 'svcadm
-v restart rarp nfs/server bootparams' to make sure everything is updated.

Granted, this process doesn't do anything jumpstart-related, nor does it
permanently copy installation files to disk, but it is a quick-n-dirty
way to do Solaris net installs.

- Mike