[rescue] Why is SSA stuff not worth anything?

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Sat Jun 24 07:30:44 CDT 2006

> I'm stumped here, but I'm sure some of you can easily explain it to
> me. If I wasn't so happy with $40/mo power bills, I think I'd hook all
> this stuff up and create some sort of storage network with one of
> those quad 16GB SP nodes which just popped up on here. Yum.
> -- Aaron Finley

I'm guessing it is because IDE drives have become so big, and are so
cheap.

I had some SGI Vault Ls, and still have a Sun A5000... I think I gave the
Vault Ls away to get rid of them. No way I could get a $1 out of the
locals for them.

Heat, power consumption, and the size... 300GB isn't bad, but I'm guessing
it's a number of disks. While $100 gets a 250-300gb IDE from NewEgg. Not
that IDE is better by any means...

Don't think for a second I wasn't thinking about one of the RS/6000 towers
:-) If you will have them in a month... . .

				- Ethan