[rescue] Want some IBM SP?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Jun 23 22:42:10 CDT 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 23:36, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 10:23, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Each node has 16 POWER3-II processors, 8 or 16GB ram, a pair of 18GB
> > HDDs and a Switch2 or SPMX2 SP-switch adapter card.
> >
> > Each frame (or "rack") has 4 of those nodes, configured identically to
> > each other.
>
> Can these be used as separate standalone servers with AIX, or do you
> need to connect them to an existing SP setup?

Yes.  I've even had them running Linux...  They compile a linux kernel
significantly faster than my dual 2.2GHz G5.

> Basically each box is 10U, or basically a little bit bigger than an
> E4000 box, which is 7U IIRC, is that correct?

It's 8U tall, but meant to fit in a 24" wide rack.  You could probably stick
it on a (heavy duty!) shelf in a 19" rack, on its side, and it'd take up
about 13U of space.  At the bottom of the rack is a 6U (I think) 48VDC power
supply, and space for a 2U SP switch.  The nodes are fairly deep as well,
about 38" front to back.

Also, it's quite a bit faster (processors, and memory bus speed) than a Sun
E4000/E4500. :)

Pat