[rescue] SBUS Expansion (was Re: more goodness available.... lots of SBUS / MBUS)

Shirker shirker at mooli.org.uk
Thu Jun 22 10:43:24 CDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Wed, 21 Jun 2006 @ 15:54 -0400, der Mouse said:
>
>> I've been looking for the SBus-card part of an xbox (the SBus extender,
>> not the gaming console).  I've got the expansion chassis, and I've got
>> the cable, but I don't have the SBus card.  Last time I mentioned it
>> someone said something like "oh you shoulda told me, I threw out a
>> bunch just a month or so back".
>
> One thing that would help is a list of part numbers and other
> identifications, if you have them.

I have them. The card is 501-1840. The backplate contains only an 80-pin
HD connector (like an overgrown SCSI connector) and the words "SBus
EXPANSION" above it.

For the archives, the cable is 530-1855, and the actual expansion box
itself is 605-1313 aka X1072 aka Model 148.

> I've often found all kinds of cards with no obvious labels or part
> numbers, and knowing the chips and general layout would have helped me
> find things for myself and others.

This particular one has one ~1" square Motorola chip and a crystal towards
the machine end, and towards the backplate end a little array of 12 of the
same chip in 3 rows of 4, each with its own yellow terminating resistor
pack (I think that's what they are). It's a very distinctive looking SBUS
card.

Ed.