[rescue] imaging old Mac double density floppy disks

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 21 00:10:10 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:07:08PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:
> I remember using something in the old days called Mac-in-DOS, but don't
> remember exactly what its capabilities were. It was a DOS program that
> read and wrote Mac floppies. I don't remember what capacity.

It read 1.4 meg floppies. There is NO WAY to read 800k or 400k floppies
on a standard PC without special hardware.

The 1.4 meg floppies are written using the same encoding as PC floppies.
There is also a linux/unix program that allows you to read and write an
image of an HFS disk. It's no longer used because you can mount an HFS
image directly in Linux and most disks are now HFS+ which it did not
handle.

A long time ago, I had a Copy II PC add on card for copying copy
protected floppies. It also would read 400k and 800k Macintosh disks.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838